Worker dead after ammonia leak at Norwood, Massachusetts, food plant

One person died after what firefighters say was an ammonia leak at a Massachusetts business on Monday. Norwood firefighters were called to a business at 140 Morgan Drive just after 11 a.m. due to an ammonia leak in a commercial building. About 100 to 200 people who were inside were evacuated. The Norfolk County District Attorney’s Office said two adult men were working for an outside contractor around the ammonia leak when it started. Norwood first responders were able to stabilize the man and transport him to Good Samaritan Medical Center, and he was then transported to Massachusetts General Hospital for specialized treatment. Richard J. Arguin, 68, of Dayton, was pronounced dead at the scene, the district attorney’s office said. The address is home to Home Market Foods, which describes itself as a major specialty provider of fresh and frozen meatballs, chicken, appetizers and snacks to both retail and food service customers. in Norwood. According to Home Market Foods, it appears an ammonia pipe was broken while two HVAC contractors were working at the plant. “One contractor was able to escape with injuries,” Home Market Foods said in a written statement. “Our hearts go out to his family. It’s very sad and horrible.” Earlier in the day, a spokesman for the Norfolk County District Attorney’s Office described the situation as an “unprecedented scene,” adding that the conditions inside the building were “too bad.” inside. The district attorney’s office said a review of video surveillance inside the facility does not indicate foul play, but the investigation is ongoing. The district attorney’s office said earlier in the day: “The area inside the building remains dangerous “There’s a high concentration of toxic material underneath, and it will be several hours before investigators are on the scene immediately.” Norwood firefighters were initially unable to enter the building because the leak was critical. were on site working to contain the leak. Home Market Foods has ammonia tanks on the property and stores frozen food in the building. The company said in a statement: The show will be conducted in conjunction with the fire department after a thorough examination, as our highest priority is to ensure the health and safety of our employees.” Earlier in the day, Norwood Fire Department A post on social media by Ko said: “There is no danger to the surrounding area and there is no need for further evacuations.” The names of the victims were not immediately released.

Also Read :  C&S WHOLESALE GROCERS, INC. DONATES HALF A MILLION DOLLARS TO THE FOOD BANK OF WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS

One person died after what firefighters say was an ammonia leak at a Massachusetts business on Monday.

Norwood firefighters were called to a business at 140 Morgan Drive just after 11 a.m. due to an ammonia leak in a commercial building. About 100 to 200 people who were inside were evacuated.

Also Read :  Endpoint security: The medicine required to cure healthcare’s cybersecurity woes

The Norfolk County District Attorney’s Office said two adult men were working for an outside contractor around the ammonia leak when it started. Norwood first responders were able to stabilize the man and transport him to Good Samaritan Medical Center, and he was then transported to Massachusetts General Hospital for specialized treatment.

Richard J. Arguin, 68, of Dayton, was pronounced dead at the scene, the district attorney’s office said.

The address is Home Market Foods, which describes itself as a “large specialty provider of fresh and frozen meatballs, chicken, appetizers and snacks” to retail and food service customers.

It is located in a commercial business park off Route 1 in Norwood.

According to Home Market Foods, it appears an ammonia pipe was ruptured while two HVAC contractors were working at the plant.

“One contractor was able to escape with injuries,” Home Market Foods said in a written statement. “Our hearts go out to his family. It’s very sad and horrible.”

Earlier in the day, a spokesman for the Norfolk County District Attorney’s Office described the situation as an “unfortunate scene,” with conditions inside the building “very toxic” for everyone inside.

Also Read :  How To Play Forza Horizon 5 and Other Video Games in a 2022 Polestar 2

The district attorney’s office said a review of video surveillance inside the facility did not indicate foul play, but the investigation is ongoing.

“The area inside the building is still under a dangerously high concentration of toxic materials, and it will be several hours before investigators can immediately enter the area,” the district attorney’s office said earlier in the day.

Norwood firefighters were initially unable to enter the building because the leak was so significant. Members of the state hazmat team were on the scene working to contain the leak.

Home Market Foods has ammonia tanks on the property and stores frozen foods on the premises.

“A decision on when we will return will be made in conjunction with the fire department after a comprehensive review, as our highest priority is to ensure the health and safety of our employees,” the company said in a statement.

A post on social media by Norwood firefighters earlier in the day said: “There is no danger to the surrounding area and no further evacuations are required.”

The names of the victims were not immediately released.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.