Anyone who has kept up to date with what’s new in the tech world has inevitably heard of the Metaverse. The Metaverse as a concept was first introduced in Neal Stephenson’s 1992 novel Snow Crash. What was once a distant dystopia is now closer than ever to our reach. Virtual reality (VR) games have been used for some time. These games require the use of a headset and, lo and behold, you are immersed in a virtual world.
Now, at the pace that technology is evolving, we’ve come way beyond virtual gaming. While these games are the focus, the Metaverse has spanned several other verticals, and even big brands are venturing into the territory. However, gaming and the Metaverse are inextricably linked. As of now, NFT games are the path to the Metaverse. In the future, we can expect the Metaverse to go gaming miles ahead in its turn.
Above all, let’s stop for a moment and understand exactly what the metaverse is all about. The Metaverse is simply a three-dimensional network composed of interconnected virtual and augmented reality. In this world, people can exist as digital avatars that represent them. By merging the real world with the virtual, the Metaverse will seamlessly integrate virtual reality, augmented reality, digital currency and social networking.
Any task from buying an NFT to interacting with friends to playing a game of cricket can be accomplished within the metaverse. There were two types of metaverse that are on everyone’s lips. A centralized metaverse, as the name suggests, is under the authority of a single entity. While it has its benefits, user privacy can be sacrificed. On the other hand, we have a decentralized metaverse where interoperable virtual platforms on a blockchain form an ecosystem. This aims to provide the ultimate immersive experience coupled with secure blockchain transactions.
NFT games, intended to be an important part of the metaverse, have been gaining traction since 2021. These games offer players the opportunity to earn rewards and currency simply by playing. Understandably, NFT games were the new name in gaming that promised to take us into the future. Now that the Metaverse finally arrives, it can take NFT gaming to a whole new level in a multitude of ways. Here are some of them.
- P2E Gaming: We’ve already discussed how Play-to-earn NFT game has started a revolution in the gambling industry. Well, with Metaverse in the picture, it’s only going to grow like never before. As these games become platforms for social connectivity, marketplaces can flourish and buying and selling NFTs can be as easy as 1 2 3.
- Interoperability: Platform interoperability means that digital assets can be moved and used from one platform to another. For example, skins and weapons from one particular game can be used to play another NFT game.
- Mixed Reality: Mixed reality will play a big role in the Metaverse. With the Metaverse, a user can seamlessly go from augmented reality to mixed reality to virtual reality.
- Immersive Experience: One of the most salient features of Metaverse is that it will be immersive. The user can lead a parallel life in the virtual world. Gaming in particular would reach new heights as the Metaverse will empower players to create their own games, characters and storylines.
- Social connection: First of all, the metaverse is social by nature. Ever since we were kids, games have brought people together. This will take on a whole new dimension as the Metaverse transcends geographic boundaries. Through the Metaverse, players can invite friends, make new connections, and simply play as a team.
The Metaverse is nearby; You can’t deny that. As Meta continues to delve into the Metaverse and explore Disney Web3 day by day, the Metaverse is quickly becoming a reality that will take any industry by storm. With gaming already at the forefront of technology, the two can do so much more for each other than we can imagine.
The Metaverse has the potential to be the future of the internet. It will revolutionize the way we think about and interact with technology. The fact that something as tangible as real estate has found a place in virtual reality is a testament to the metaverse breaking down all boundaries.
With technology like this, it’s also possible for people from all walks of life to find solace in the Metaverse. With due consideration, the Metaverse could be the most inclusive event that has ever happened in history, bringing everyone together and encouraging authentic expression. Disabilities that can limit play can also be overcome in the Metaverse.
Therefore, if developed properly, the Metaverse could be the future not just of gaming, but of the world as a whole.