It took a while for the Food and Nutrition Service’s (FNS) SNAP online shopping pilot to publicize its presence in every US state. But, as Forage noted, with online grocery shopping projected to grow to 21.5% of total grocery sales in the US by 2025, participation rates among states and retailers are steadily increasing.
See: What is the highest food stamp income in 2022?
Find: This credit score blunder could cost millions of Americans
On August 15, Forage — a San Francisco-based third-party payment processor (TPP) and Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) authenticator — announced that it has been approved by the USDA to provide EBT payments for SNAP online purchases. Forage is the only platform alongside Fiserv (PaySecure) and FIS Global (Worldpay) that offers this secure service to retailers and their online SNAP customers.
Another provider will make it easier for the 42 million Americans who currently receive grocery stamps to spend them online, according to Supermarket News, as will the USDA-backed SNAP EBT Modernization Technical Assistance Center grant program, which started in July 2022.
The $5 million assistance grant is funded by the American Rescue Plan and, according to Supermarket News, is “intended to help expand the number of retailers offering online grocery shopping benefits to Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Plan (SNAP) recipients “. The recipients or organizations receiving this grant will be announced in the fall.
The SNAP Online Purchasing Pilot was originally created as a pilot test by the 2014 Farm Bill. The online business plan has continued to grow ever since, with all 50 states (except Alaska) and the District of Columbia participating in SNAP online retail shopping through local retailers and chain giants.
Here is a list of the major national retailers that accept online SNAP payments in most states, followed by a list of each state’s regional and local stores that welcome online grocery shopping through SNAP EBT.
Also see: Surprising things you can buy with food stamps
Major national/regional chain stores in your state that accept SNAP payments online
- BJ’s Wholesale Club.
- eating lion.
- Sam’s club.
- Sprouts Farmers Market.
- Stop & Shop.
- Whole food.
Take our poll: How do you usually split the restaurant bill?
Semi-regional/local retailers in your state that accept SNAP payments online
- Alabama: Greer’s Cash Saver, Food City, Limestone County Home Market, Marino’s Market, Piggly Wiggly (Deatsville), Wright’s Markets, Inc.
- Arizona: AJ’s Fine Foods, Basha’s, Cardenas Markets, Eddie’s Country Store.
- Arkansas: Brookshire’s Food and Pharmacy, City Markets, Harps Food Stores, Hays Supermarket, Super 1 Foods Brookshires.
- California: Cardenas Markets, ExtraMile by Jacksons, Food 4 Less, FoodMaxx, Gong’s IGA Market, Lucky Supermarkets, Pavillons, Rancho San Miguel Markets, Save Mart Supermarkets, Stater Bros., Super King Market, Superior Grocers, The Market by Superior.
- Colorado: No local shops participate; only national chain stores participate (see above).
- Connecticut: Food Bazaar, Geissler’s Supermarket, Price Chopper Supermarkets. price rite.
- Delaware: Giant of Maryland, Weis Markets.
- District of Columbia: Giant of Maryland.
- Florida: Earth Fare, Freshfields Farm, Greer’s Cash Saver, Hitchcock’s Markets, JC’s Market and Food Kitchen, Mt Plymouth Grocery.
- Georgia: Earth Fare, Little Giant Farmers Markets, Piggly Wiggly (HAC), Shoppers Value Foods.
- Hawaii: No local shops participate; only national chain stores participate (see above).
- Idaho: Broulim’s, ExtraMile by Jacksons, Jacksons Food Stores, Manilo Super 1 Foods, Inc., Rosauers Supermarkets, Super 1 Foods Brookshires.
- Illinois: Capri IGA, County Market, Dave’s Supermarket, Fairplay Foods. Jewel Osco, Local Market, Meijer, Metropolis Big John Grocery, Schnuck’s Market, Supermercados El Guero, Tony’s Fresh Market, Woodman’s Markets.
- Indiana: Juwel Osco, Meijer, Schnucks Markt, Strack and Van Til, Stadt und Land.
- Iowa: Jewel Osco, New Pioneer Food Co-op, Ramsey’s Market.
- Kansas: Country Mart, Harps Food Stores, Pyramid Foods, the Merc Co-op.
- Kentucky: Food town, Meijer.
- Louisiana: Brookshires Groceries and Pharmacy, Spring Market, Super 1 Foods Brookshires.
- Maryland: Giant Eagle, Giant of Maryland, Martin’s, Price Rite, Weis Markets.
- Massachusetts: Brothers Marketplace, Daily Table, Geissler’s Supermarket, Hannaford, McKinnon’s Supermarkets, Price Chopper Supermarkets, Price Rite, Roche Bros., Shaws, Star Market.
- Michigan: Earth Fare, Garden Fresh Market, Meijer, Wesco.
- Minnesota: Hornbacher’s Hugo’s Family Marketplace.
- Mississippi: Greer’s Cash Saver, Froogel’s, Superlo Foods.
- Missouri: Bratcher’s Market, Cameron Market, Country Mart, County Market, FavTrip Independence, FavTrip KCMO, Harps Food Stores, Hays Supermarket, Price Cutter, Pyramid Foods, Schnuck’s Market, Sliced Bread Market, Sweet Springs Market, Woods Supermarket.
- Montana: Manito Super 1 Foods, Inc., Rosauers Supermarkets, Super 1 Foods Brookshires.
- Nebraska: No local shops participate; only national chain stores participate (see above).
- Nevada: Cardenas Markets, ExtraMile by Jacksons, FoodMaxx, Jacksons Food Stores, Lin’s Fresh Market, Save Mart Supermarkets.
- New Hampshire: Hannaford, McKinnons Supermarkets, Price Chopper Supermarkets, Price Rite, Shaws.
- New Jersey: ACME, Food Bazaar, Food Circus Super Markets, Inc. DBA Super Foodtown, Price Rite, TheFreshGrocer, Weis Markets.
- New Mexico: No local shops participate; only national chain stores participate (see above).
- New York: 3 Brooklyn Guys, Dash’s Market, Ferreira Foodtown, Food Bazaar, Foodtown-Freshtown, GreenStar Food Co-op, Hannaford, Manhattan Fruit Market, My Foodtown, Pioneer Supermarket, Price Chopper Supermarkets, Price Rite, Schneider’s of Kirkwood, Skip’s on the Ridge, Tops Market, Weis Markets.
- North Carolina: Carlie C’s Compare Groceries, Compare Groceries Clayton, Deep Roots Market, Earth Fare, Fairvalue Grocery Stores, Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly of Kinston, NC (Highway 258 N).
- North Dakota: Hornbacher, Hugo’s family marketplace.
- Ohio: Buehler’s Fresh Foods, Dave’s Supermarket, Inc. DBA Dave’s Supermarket, Earth Fare, Giant Eagle, Lucky’s, Meijer.
- Oklahoma: Apple Market, HAC Inc. DBA Cash Saver, Country Mart, Doc’s Food Stores, Inc., FireLake Discount Foods, Harps Food Stores, Homeland Food Stores, Phelps Market, Reasor’s, Sooner Foods, United Supermarkets, Warehouse Market.
- Oregon: ExtraMile by Jacksons,Rosauers Supermarkets, Roths Fresh Markets.
- Pennsylvania: Cottman Food Market, Dave’s Super Duper, Giant Company, LLC, Giant Eagle, Lake Region IGA, Martin’s, Mignosi’s Super Foodtown, Price Chopper Supermarkets, Price Rite, TheFreshGrocer, Tops Market, Weis Markets.
- Rhode Island: Cartwheel RI, Price Rite, Shaws.
- South Carolina: Earth Fare, Opie Drive-Thru Grocery Store.
- South Dakota: Book Foods.
- Tennessee: Earth Fare, Food City, Food Lion, HG Hill Foods Store, Memphis Cash Saver, Superlo Farmers Market.
- Texas: Brookshire’s Food and Pharmacy, Central Market, FRESH by Brookshire’s, Joe V’s Smart Shop, LKewis Food Town, Spring Market, Super 1 Foods Brookshires.
- Utah: Dan’s Fresh Market, Davis Food and Drug, Dick’s Fresh Market, ExtraMile by Jacksons, Fresh Market, Jacksons Food Stores, Lin’s Fresh Market, Macey’s.
- Vermont: Hannaford, Price Chopper Supermarkets, Shaws, Tops Markets.
- Virginia: Earth Fare, Food City, Giant of Maryland, Martin’s, Weis Markets.
- Washington: A&J Select Market, Rosauers Supermarkets, Super 1 Foods Rosauers, Yoke’s Fresh Market.
- West Virginia: Giant Eagle, Martin’s, Spencer Cash Saver, St Mary’s Galaxy, Weis Markets.
- Wisconsin: Capital, Center Market, Lou Perrine’s Gas and Grocery, Meijer, Ptacek’s IGA, Schnuck’s Market, Woodman’s Markets.
- Wyoming: Broulim’s, Hines General Store.
More from GOBankingRates