Family of 10-year-old charged with killing his mother speaks out

MILWAUKEE — “It’s hard because he’s supposed to be here,” Lueritha Mann exclaimed.

That thought keeps Lueritha Mann and her family up at night. Losing her daughter, Quiana Mann, feels like a nightmare she can’t escape.

“I can’t believe he did that,” Lueritha said.

Her ten-year-old grandson is accused of killing his mother, Quiana. The fatal shooting happened near 87th and Hemlock around 7:00 a.m. on Monday, November 21st.

Poster image (41).jpg


Quiana Mann

Detectives say the boy told them he got the gun because he was mad at his mother for waking him up at 6 a.m. and for not letting him order a virtual reality headset from Amazon.

Police initially said the boy was playing with the gun when it fired and struck his mother.

Also Read :  10-year-old upset over VR headset fatally shoots mother; charged as an adult

TMJ4’s Ubah Ali asked his aunt Rhonda Reid if she thought her nephew was capable of harming his mother.

“No, absolutely not,” Reed said.

Family speaks out after kid kills mom

Reed still struggles to understand why her nephew planned to kill his mother the night before, according to prosecutors.

“He was upset that these (electronic) devices were taken away,” she said. She adds that on the day of the shoot, her nephew ordered a VR headset.

Reed said her nephew started going to therapy more than a year ago. He was diagnosed with a mood and conduct disorder. Limiting access to electronics was a treatment plan from his therapist.

The 10-year-old is charged as an adult with first-degree murder.

Also Read :  At a time of growing international threats, the Air Force is readying pilots for the unexpected

Reed believes her nephew doesn’t understand the gravity of the charges and what it could mean for him.

From Juvenile Detention, Reed said her nephew told her he blocked out what happened that morning and quickly shifts the conversation.

“When he calls, he’s just like, ‘Make sure all my tablets and my laptop and everything is packed,'” Reed said.

Lueritha said she couldn’t bring herself to talk to her grandson. When asked if she could one day, she said: “I hope one day, but not now. He took something very precious from me.”

Ali asked Reed if he thought her nephew should be charged as an adult.

Also Read :  Microsoft's Army headsets making soldiers sick

“That’s a tough question,” Reed replied. “I understand how (prosecutors) could come up with that charge.”

“He has to pay for what he did,” added Lueritha.

Reed believes the best place for his safety and the safety of others is in prison, but with help.

“Regardless of what happens to him, I’m not sure he’s going to get proper care in this state anyway,” Reed said.

Both women say there is no closure in this situation.

“There are no winners in this situation,” Reed added.

The most important thing right now is to keep Quiana’s memory alive.

The boy is due back in court for a hearing in January.

Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.